- Home & Workshop Products
1. John Deere became famous for improving the steel plow, not creating the tractor.
2. In 1918, Deere & Company entered the tractor business by acquiring the maker of Waterloo Boy Tractors.
3. In 1837, John Deere was elected mayor of Moline and served for two years.
4. In 1894, Deere & Company started manufacturing bicycles for a few years (Deere Roadster and Moline Special).
5. In 1895, Deere & Company started production of an agricultural journal called The Furrow. The magazine grew to 500,000 readers by 1907 and now is published in 14 languages within 115 countries. The magazine is accredited with inventing content marketing.
6. Since 1837, Deere & Company has only had 9 CEOs.
7. 5 of the 9 Deere CEOs have been members of the Deere family.
8. Deere & Company World Headquarters was designed by Eero Saarinen, a famous architect, who also designed the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.
9. The slogan “Nothing Runs Like A Deere” was originally created for a snowmobile line but is still used today as part of the brand.
10. The leaping deer trademark has been used for more than 135 years.