With Yield Protection you can purchase coverage to guarantee yields based on your actual production history (APH). Yield Protection provides protection against losses for most crops from nearly all natural disasters. Less expensive than revenue-based policies, Yield Protection protects against yield and/or quality losses from many different perils, including drought, excess moisture, cold and frost, wildlife, disease and insects. Various coverage levels are available.
- Comprehensive protection against weather-related causes of loss and certain other unavoidable perils
- Protects against low yields, poor quality, late planting, replanting costs1 or when planting is prevented1.
- Guarantee is based on producer's own yield records.
- Projected price is determined by the Commodity Exchange Price Provisions (CEPP) and is generally available 10 days prior to applicable sales closing date.
- Provides a source of income when low crop yields are caused by covered perils.
- Adds security to farm loans and low-level security for marketing plans.
- Minimum Catastrophic coverage is available and provisions are available for limited resource farmers.
Wheat, Barley, Malting Barley, Corn, Grain Sorghum, Soybeans, Cotton, Rice, Sunflowers and Canola/Rapeseed
Yield Protection policies pay when your actual yield falls below the approved guarantee. Losses paid at projected price listed on your summary of coverage.
Yield Protection Example2
Situation: Loss of production due to drought.
Actual Production History: 180 bu.
Coverage Level: 75%
Actual Yield: 90 bu.
Projected Price: $3.50
Guarantee: APH (180 bu.) x Level (.75) = 135 bu.
Yield Protection Payment: Guarantee (135) – Actual Yield (90) = 45 bu. Deficit x Proj. Price ($3.50) = $157.50/Acre
1Not available on all crop policies.
2All examples assume the policyholder has 100% share of the insured crop. Different rounding rules may apply to different calculations and/or products.