The John Deere Way: Simple + Reliable
Regulatory authorities have set tough standards to reduce the emission levels of off-highway diesel engines. The only way for manufacturers to meet this challenge is to implement exhaust after-treatment systems. This has led most manufacturers to pursue the option of Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), implementing a catalyst and the use of urea, a fluid requiring a second tank, a complex dosing system and a heater to avoid freezing.
The John Deere way is simpler. As an innovator in the off-highway use of cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and the variable geometry turbocharger (VGT), John Deere is able to build on the established success of our PowerTech diesel engines without the cost and inconvenience of SCR technology.
With the addition of an integrated dual exhaust filter (DOC + DPF), our new PowerTech engines not only fulfill emissions regulations, they also deliver the power, fuel efficiency, reliability, and low cost of ownership our customers have come to expect from John Deere.
- Increased levels of cooled EGR lower exhaust temperature and reduce NOx
- VGT varies exhaust pressure based on load and speed to ensure proper EGR flow and provide increased performance
- 4-valve cylinder head increases efficiency, power and torque
- Electronic unit injector (13.5L) and HPCR (4.5L, 6.8L and 9.0L) fuel systems provide increased fuel pressure for more efficient combustion and PM reduction
- Low-friction, single-piece steel piston improves fuel economy, reduces emissions, and increases durability (9.0L and 13.5L)
- Directed top liner cooling contributes to improved oil control and increased durability (9.0L and 13.5L)