Service information for maintaining the value of your machine Before use, always:
After use, always:
- Check fuel level
- Check engine oil level
- Test safety systems
- Check the tyre pressure and brakes
- Tighten any parts that appear to be loose
Winter service inspection:
- Clean the mower and lid
- Clean the rear discharge chute
- Clean the grass catcher
John Deere recommends performing winter service inspections during the winter months. These ensure any potential downtime occurs in the quiet season. Ask your dealer for preventative service checks.
- We recommend the use of TurfGard oils.
- If these are not available, use oils with the API specification SG or higher.
Oil and Filter Change:
- The oil level should always be checked before operating the machine.
- The oil level should be checked twice a day if the engine is in operation for longer than 4 hours a day.
- The oil level must lie between the FULL and ADD levels.
- Do not run the engine if the oil level is at or below the hatched area.
- Change the oil after 25 hours of operation.
- Replace the oil filter after 50 hours of operation.
- Change the oil and filter at shorter intervals in the case of extreme operating conditions such as frequent short journeys or operation at low speeds.
- Never run the engine without air filter elements and a rubber dust valve.
- Regularly clean the dust valve of the air filter – and replace it after 100 hours of operation.
- Only service the air filter elements when the level indicator in the air filter clogging indicator is red when the engine is switched off.
- Please carefully read through and follow the safety instructions in your Operating Manual!
- Apply the parking brake when parking.
- Regularly check that the parking brake is working properly.
- Rotating mower blades can be dangerous.
- Be alert at all times, drive forward and in reverse carefully. People, especially children, can move quickly into the mowing area before you know it.
- Keep hands, feet and items of clothing well away from the cutting system when the engine is running.
- The mower blades should stop in approximately five seconds when the mower is disengaged. If you believe that your blades may not be stopping in that period of time, take your machine to your authorised dealer where they can safely check and service your machine.
Why is it important for me to use John Deere replacement parts for my John Deere equipment?
John Deere replacement parts are designed specifically for John Deere equipment. They are the same parts that are used in our factories when we build new equipment. This is your assurance that each part has met John Deere's high standards, which are often higher than the industry norms.
Are all heat-treating methods and steels the same when making blades?
The part may look the same on the outside, but it's trueness to factory dimensions, carbon content/alloy steel and heat-treating may be very different. Our engineers specify a very precise mix of all elements to make our blades the absolute strongest they can be.
Aren't all filters the same?
Actually, no. Filter components can vary greatly. John Deere part suppliers have access to John Deere engineering drawings, which specify the exact measurements and elements for your equipment's best possible protection. Our competitors don't have these engineering drawings. John Deere filters remove fine debris, seal out internal leaks and have higher flow during cold weather start ups.
Are there safety concerns when purchasing mower blades?
If you purchase a mower blade that is made by a company other than John Deere for your John Deere equipment, you are taking the risk that the blade will not meet factory specifications. The blade may not be heat treated correctly, it may not have the correct amount of carbon, and it could be brittle and fragment if you hit a hard object.
Can I purchase parts for my John Deere equipment at auto parts stores?
Don't sacrifice your engine or transmission to parts that "will fit" on your John Deere equipment. There is no assurance that internal components of competitive parts will protect the investment you've made.
Are parts more expensive at a John Deere dealer?
Genuine John Deere replacement parts are competitively priced and superior in quality.